Fast change of rwy on FMS

Forum for discussion of aircraft, sounds and panels

Fast change of rwy on FMS

Postby MTN2892 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 am

Sometime as soon as I approach the destination airport, due to variable weather conditions, the atc allows me to land on a different rwy. Usually I know it late, because P3D allows me to contact the tower only when I am nearby the airport space.

So how to change rapidly star, rwy and transitions?

May be I could leave a "no link" between last wpt and the star/trans/approach so I can try to look for a new one for the new assigned rwy starting from last wpt before the "no link" and deleting all Wpts That I have planned to set a new star and rwy. But it takes time.

Can you suggest a different way?

Thank you
Regards,
Stefano
MTN2892

Re: Fast change of rwy on FMS

Postby MTN2570 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 pm

One way is to fly online with VATSIM. If you are in contact with a Center or Approach controller they will tell you what approach and runway to expect well in advance of arrival. If there is only a Tower controller you can tune into the ATIS broadcast long before you get to that airport's airspace and determine what runway is in use for landing.

If there are no controllers then you can obtain a METAR for the destination prior to departure which will allow you to determine a landing runway based on wind direction and then obtain a METAR while enroute to see if conditions have changed.

Changing the STAR/APP/Runway in an FMS is generally not a laborious process in any regard. Simply program it in making note of the first related waypoint you will encounter and then editing your legs page as needed to eliminate nay unwanted waypoints present from the previously planned route.
MTN2570

Postby MTN2245 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Hey Stefano, do you program your complete flight before takeoff? And how do you get your weather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MTN2245

Postby MTN2892 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:10 am

MTN2245 wrote:Hey Stefano, do you program your complete flight before takeoff? And how do you get your weather?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I check METAR for destination.
The flight is not so long in time so, in general, I can know with high probability the rwy to land.
But high probability does not mean always...
Stefano
MTN2892

Return to Fleet