Need the Virtual Cockpit

Forum for discussion of aircraft, sounds and panels

Need the Virtual Cockpit

Postby MTN2669 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 am

Hi folks,

I noticed after downloading the CRJ 700 for FSX there is no VC. I really want the VC especially since I have TrackIR which really gives a more immersive experience. I was surprised to find a full aircraft from Posky instead of just a texture folder that I can drop into the default CRJ. I think I read somewhere that the aircraft model on this site is more realistic but I'm not sure. Anyway, all I really want is the FSX CRJ default VC in my mountain air CRJ. Any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
MTN2669

Re: Need the Virtual Cockpit

Postby MTN2669 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:09 pm

I think I might have answered my own question. I'll try this tonight to see if it works on the FSX CRJ 700 I downloaded from the fleet page...I'll update the post with my results.

http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/read.php?f=9&i=9913&t=9913
MTN2669

Postby MTN2669 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:28 pm

It didn't work. I found it can only work with aircraft models compiled with FSX SDK. The fleet model was apparently compiled with the FS9 SDK.

So I'm going to try to convert the livery to the default FSX CRJ...looking further....
MTN2669

Postby MTN2451 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Hey Vincent,

First of all, welcome to Mountain Air! Join us on TeamSpeak sometime...would love to chat with you!

I don't think any of the Mountain Air fleet have a VC, so going with the default CRJ is probably your best bet. I'd be interested to know how you convert a livery though...you have some sort of software to do that, I assume?

Cheers,
MTN2451

Postby MTN2669 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks. I'll try to do so. I'm trying to teach myself how to do the conversion. I think I'm close. It appears the default FSX needs files named CRJ700_1_T.dds and CRJ700_2_T.dds. I use a program called dxtbmp. It basically converts bmps to dds files. I discovered this today while doing a search for videos on how to do it. It appears that as long as the paint job is contained within these files we should be good.

I'm a developer by trade so this intrigues me :D
MTN2669

Postby MTN1031 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 pm

I've been looking into adding VCs to the freeware aircraft we currently use. I'm in the process of updating the CRJ700 and ERJ145 right now. I'll get back to you when I'm finished.
MTN1031

Postby MTN2669 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:27 am

Cool. I don't want to step on anybody's toes. Glad I asked before I went out and did it.
IMHO: To me it appears easier to just apply the Mountain Air livery to the default FSX CRJ and inherit its characteristics one of them being the virtual cockpit. But this is my first crack at this so I don't really know what's best.

Anyway I eagerly wait for the enhancement! I know it seems silly but I really want to fly with the Mountain Air livery instead of using just the white boring one or the "Pacifica" default livery in FSX. If the fleet aircraft performance was modelled to make it as accurate as possible this will be a real plus.

Thanks
MTN2669

Postby MTN1031 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm

here is a set of freeware that you can add to your collection: http://www.irissimulations.com.au/hangar/free-flight-simulator-aircraft/fsx-easter-eggs-2013

included are the -200, -900, Global Express, and ASTOR. All have the default FSX CRJ cockpit and are abandoned payware projects. I can't paint at all or I would've done so long ago as I primarily fly from the VC.

As for the linked planes, there are plenty of repaints popping up on Avsim to keep you occupied. I've been primarily flying the Global Express, its somewhat in-between the -200 and -700 series.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=iris+crj&CatID=root&Go=Search
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=iris+global&CatID=root&Go=Search

I'm in between Sims as I just reinstalled windows and might not be up for time, so far I've gotten a VC in the ERJ145 that is purely aesthetic and the default VC working in the CRJ700.

Edit: From what I know, Gary has completely customized the fleet aircraft, over time I'd like to add his customizations to the default models (with his permission)
Edit2: By all means keep painting. Its a great skill to have.
MTN1031

Postby MTN2036 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:37 am

You can't use a texture sheet that is mapped for one aircraft and make it work on another, textures are assigned to the model in gmax and 3ds max.
MTN2036

Postby MTN2669 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Good point. I also found "FS Repaint V2" and "FS Design Studio" from Abacus. Was thinking about purchasing the FS Repaint for now since it's cheaper. Personally I'm not graphically gifted. So it would really be just an attempt at it. If it's unsuccessful, I won't feel as bad :D
MTN2669

Next

Return to Fleet