Need the Virtual Cockpit

Forum for discussion of aircraft, sounds and panels

Re: Need the Virtual Cockpit

Postby MTN2669 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:33 pm

MTN1031 wrote:here is a set of freeware that you can add to your collection: http://www.irissimulations.com.au/hangar/free-flight-simulator-aircraft/fsx-easter-eggs-2013

included are the -200, -900, Global Express, and ASTOR. All have the default FSX CRJ cockpit and are abandoned payware projects. I can't paint at all or I would've done so long ago as I primarily fly from the VC.

As for the linked planes, there are plenty of repaints popping up on Avsim to keep you occupied. I've been primarily flying the Global Express, its somewhat in-between the -200 and -700 series.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=iris+crj&CatID=root&Go=Search
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=iris+global&CatID=root&Go=Search

I'm in between Sims as I just reinstalled windows and might not be up for time, so far I've gotten a VC in the ERJ145 that is purely aesthetic and the default VC working in the CRJ700.

Edit: From what I know, Gary has completely customized the fleet aircraft, over time I'd like to add his customizations to the default models (with his permission)
Edit2: By all means keep painting. Its a great skill to have.

On the iris aircraft,I used the CRJ 900 last night. I'm not sure 100% but it made FSX crash. I was about an hour into the flight and it just crashed. Seemed a bit unresponsive to the mouse clicks in the virtual cockpit as well.
MTN2669

Postby MTN1031 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 am

MTN2669 wrote:On the iris aircraft,I used the CRJ 900 last night. I'm not sure 100% but it made FSX crash. I was about an hour into the flight and it just crashed. Seemed a bit unresponsive to the mouse clicks in the virtual cockpit as well.

That's interesting, I haven't had a single crash in any of the planes. Well apart from a couple of unrelated scenery errors.
MTN1031

Postby MTN2669 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:39 am

I also had issues with other aircraft. I dug into it more and found out it was caused by terrain.dll per the msg in the event console. Looked around and found out my settings are too high. Sad because I have one heck of a rig using a GTX980. I always dreamed of maxing out the settings but apparently it seems impossible on FSX due to its design. So I just kept it at the ultra high setting and that seems to be stable. Looks fine too. I'll need to try it out again with iris a/c to verify but other aircraft are now fine. I'm starting to learn how to get by without a virtual cockpit. I'm using an iPad app called airtrack. It pulls up the pfd for me so that I can use it instead of the default cockpit. I like the fact that the fleet a/c has the correct livery and a better performance model.

I thought painting an aircraft would be easy but as a working dad, unfortunately I don't have the time to be painting at home. I commute using the train and have the opportunity to do so during that time since I have about an hour each way and an iPad. I was looking at some apps that might do that but I'm not 100% sure. I know I would have to convert the textures to bmp, edit those then reconvert them to dds. I guess I would need to find a decent app that allows me to paint textures in the bmp format. Would that work or is it a pain?
MTN2669

Postby MTN2669 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Flew the IRIS aircraft without incident (exception was with its fuel burning capacity on the CRJ200. Had to emergency land near my destination. It doesn't sync well with fuelplanner.com). So I downloaded Blender (3D modelling) and Krita (paintshop alternative both free). I was hoping that I can use some stock images like the mountain air logo and things like that. Is there any available?
MTN2669

Previous

Return to Fleet